I am an individual, a human being with an identity. I am not a statistic. I am not a number. I am not another one.

I am a mind, a body, and a soul. I think, I feel, and I create. I change, I bring change, and I will make a difference.

Friday, May 23, 2008

McCain and Ellen

Recently, Presidential candidate John McCain went on Ellen. Of course, the news of the California Supreme Court overturning the gay marriage ban came up. This is the short conversation that they had over it:




Ellen makes fantastic points about this. Senator McCain seems to either not be able to or just not rebut her comment, and I think that is very interesting.

However, although I am gay and support equal marriage rights, I support Senator McCain for the presidency. Rather ironic, I know, but, in my opinion, he is more suited for the presidency than Obama or Clinton.

Watching this clip made me think of a routine I watched by Margaret Cho at one point. She was essentially saying that many of these politicians who are against gay marriage are not against it because they feel it is wrong; rather, they are against it because the audience they must appeal to are against it. Quite a frustrating situation, but politics is politics.

From what I gathered in this clip, McCain staved off the debate because it would not be tactful for him to discuss it with Ellen on her show at all. It looked as though he understood exactly what she was saying to him, and there's not really a way that he could disagree. Either his opposition to gay marriage comes from religion or his political base supporters.

Part of me thinks he's against it because he needs to appeal to the far right as much as he can without flipflopping (he is very well-known for crossing party lines despite what the GOP says, and that makes some people on the far right angry). The religious right does not want to see gay marriage legalized in the country. While it has not been a very tangible issue until recently, it hits close to home because it can quarrel with religion. He needs all the votes he can get if he wants to win the White House after President Bush.

I'm not saying that he's going to change his mind if he is elected. I'm just speculating on different reasons why he may be against gay marriage.

No comments: