I am an individual, a human being with an identity. I am not a statistic. I am not a number. I am not another one.

I am a mind, a body, and a soul. I think, I feel, and I create. I change, I bring change, and I will make a difference.

Friday, April 4, 2008

I Often Equate the Gay Rights Movement with the Civil Rights Movement

The Civil Rights Movement is a sort of precursor to what the homosexual community is experiencing with the desire for same-sex marriage. Certainly, African Americans had a more difficult situation to deal with, but the idea is quite similar. Both deal with a majority (or seemingly the majority) not allowing something due to prejudices and misunderstandings.

The most potent arguments against same-sex marriage are religions ones. However, religious arguments do not stand very strong in an American government or courtroom setting. So, it would seem that there is no real reason that stands ground for not legalizing same-sex marriage except the "unknown effects" it will have on society.

Yet, it is still not legal in many states. I am convinced one reason it is not is because the Pride Movement. The Pride Movement has severely damaged the struggling "reputation" of the homosexual community. In-your-face tactics and an "I'm here, I'm queer, get used to it" attitude are not the way to bring about any sort of gay acceptance. Also, Pride festivals do not portray the community in any sort of civilized, moral light. They are demonstrations of the tactic and attitude mentioned, and the settings they are thrown in encourage the drug-use and "whorish" behavior that the homosexual community is becoming known for. It gives off the impression that because there is no same-sex marriage, there are no rules for us, and doing whatever we want is the result. It should not be like that at all, not if we want to be accepted in this nation any time soon.

We must look to the leaders of the Civil Rights movement and how they handled the situation, and we need to learn how to being about change in the same manner. Why? Because it worked. Sure, civil disobedience is not really an option for us. However, it is the attitude of their leaders that we can emulate. Attitude of reason, negotiating, etc., not flaunting and flashing.

The community needs to remake its reputation into one that is civilized rather than radical. Homosexuality is not a concept that is difficult to grasp, but running around in parades half-naked with rainbow flags and an angry face are. We are a community of love and certainly do have pride, but it is definitely distrinct to see why Black Pride was more potent than Gay Pride - the attitude. Black Pride said "We are strong." Gay Pride should be similar, but is not.

I would like to see a homosexual leader rise up that is respectable, reasonable, and charismatic. Perhaps there is one that I am not aware of, but I mean one that will rally as Martin Luther King, Jr. did. One whose name everyone will know, not just a committee that plans Pride Fests.

I was invited to attend Pensacola Pride with some friends. While the camaraderie of all the gays is tempting, I will abstain from going. I support the movement for same-sex marriage and homosexual equality, but only in a reasonable manner. That does not represent my self-respect for my homosexuality.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a great entry. I totally agree with you. Most of the time people see gays as lustful and not really capable of true love and it's often because the homosexuals they have encountered have been that way. But that's not the case with a lot of us and I think we should really strive to change our reputation to become more respectable. Again, great entry.

Daniel (Old Account) said...

I just saw The Great Debaters. It was an amazing movie. It was interesting how I associated myself with the black characters, and felt the white southerners were a common enemy. It make me want to fight for my civil rights so much, even though I live in a time when we are so luck to not have to face frequent violence towards gays.

Abelard Enigma said...

Welcome to the Mormon queerosphere. I added your blog to my list of family members, I hope you don't mind.

draco said...

The best we've got so far is Ellen. As much as I love her, we need someone who people will take seriously and who really gets a lot of people talking.