I am an individual, a human being with an identity. I am not a statistic. I am not a number. I am not another one.

I am a mind, a body, and a soul. I think, I feel, and I create. I change, I bring change, and I will make a difference.

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Recent Feelings on Religion

Yesterday I read that Islam surpasses Catholicism as the largest religion in the world. Christians, however, still outnumber Muslims if all the different denominations are counted together. Not sure if the objective counter included Mormonism, but it's really not an issue.

I am enrolled in a Survey of World Religions class currently. Last semester the only religion class I took was Book of Mormon first half honors (and it was for RMS, but not labelled, so half of us didn't know); I also was taking general psychology and learning about evolutionary effects on behavior and life processes. I started swinging toward a more atheistic attitude because Mormonism does not really cut it for me and other religions had issues too. The theory of evolution made, and still does make, complete sense to me without being far-fetched. It is based in reason, evidence, and science.

This semester, however, I find myself attracted to religion and spirituality again. As I sat in class and took notes on a religion, I initially wondered what it was that caused these people to go out and preach that they are inspired, enlightened, or know the way to Heaven. They started religions that major players in the world today, but where they schizophrenic? And Hinduism, was it just a culture of people needing to believe in something or did the Rishis really scribe the vibrations of the universe to produce the Vedas?

Then, an idea struck me. Maybe they did hear the vibrations of the universe. Perhaps Mahavira really was a tirthankara to bring the path to enlightenment back to earth. Gabriel could have appeared to Muhammad, Siddhartha Gautama really was enlightened and the Buddha, Guru Nanak really was swept into the presence of God. And in my opinion, each of these histories are even more believable and sensible than God and Jesus Christ appearing to a fourteen-year-old boy in the Sacred Grove, Joseph Smith. Someone who can believe that certainly can believe Lao Tzu's discussion of the Tao.

So, I am coming to a tentative conclusion that all religions contain truth. All of these prophets, messengers, etc. teach a way of self-improvement and post-life happiness through works. Each has its own way of practicing, but the end goal is rather similar. Differences in doctrine do exist, such as Hinduism's way of reuniting with Brahman and becoming one with everything differing from Christianity's desire to return to the presence of God for eternity, but the ideas are similar in an abstract way. Basically, become a better person in order to reach a better outcome.

This is why I am intrigued by Baha'i, a recent movement that seeks to bring together all faith traditions to worship the Creator. Baha'i is interested in the unity of humankind.

But nonetheless, most religions have parallels to each other. Sitting in class, I am always eager to hear of another one, such as Islam's Hajj (once-a-lifetime pilgrimmage to Mecca) and Mormonism's endowment ceremony. Analyzing the Hajj makes one really see the complements of each religion.

Anyway, my recent idea on religion is to study them all and adhere to the basic principles of each. Become a better person, prayer to God, help the needy, etc.

I used to be disgusted by religion because of the conflict of Mormonism and homosexuality. Any religion at all, but especially Christianity. I wanted to believe it was true, but if I did, then I couldn't believe myself to be true. I am glad that I have found a renewed interest in religion.

I am glad I am homosexual. It has open my mind in ways that would never have occurred had I easily fit the mold of the Church. Now, I have much greater and mroe numberous perspectives on how to live my life.