I am an individual, a human being with an identity. I am not a statistic. I am not a number. I am not another one.

I am a mind, a body, and a soul. I think, I feel, and I create. I change, I bring change, and I will make a difference.

Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Naïveté Is the Opposite of Wisdom

I was thinking about what the difference is between someone who is naïve and another who is mature. Certainly, the mature person has experienced more than the naïve, but what exactly was it that caused the innocent person to act differently from the experienced? Elders (not church-related; rather, I mean people who are older) are wiser than youth, and it is because they have experienced life already. Elders are experienced, wise, and mature; youth tend to be (but definitely not always) naïve, immature, etc. Yet, a younger person certainly can be smarter than someone older than he. So it must be, the difference between the mature and immature is the amount of wisdom they wield.

Wisdom, to me, is the ability to make good decisions based on experience or what is known. Naïve people generally cannot make good decisions because they are unaware or do not know enough of the world. Street-smarts is a term that could be related here rather than book-smarts. Wise people know enough of the world to understand what makes it turn and why things are the way they are. I feel that the naïve are that way because they are idealistic and hopeful, stemming from not experiencing the world or other ideas enough. Hope is not wrong, but in an idealistic sense it can be unreal. I have plenty of hope, but I do what it to be realistic.

I used to think that wisdom was the opposite of ignorance or stupidity. However, I feel that one can be exceedingly smart while unwise and naïve. Wisdom extends beyond science and math to being able to examine the human condition through personal experience and understanding of others. It utilizes that knowledge to act in a manner that promotes realism.

I suppose one could argue that "Inexperience is the opposide of wisdom," but for some reason the word "naïve" has the conotation that I am looking for. It is not negative, just a condition.

And at this point I have lost my train of thought. I hope that entry made sense to you, and if I come back when I am not excessively tired then I will edit this to make more sense.

No comments: