I am an individual, a human being with an identity. I am not a statistic. I am not a number. I am not another one.

I am a mind, a body, and a soul. I think, I feel, and I create. I change, I bring change, and I will make a difference.

Monday, April 7, 2008

"Do You Have Running Water? I Don't Want to Hear You Ever Complain Again." -My Sister

I was tagged by Peter to participate in one of those tagging games. It consists of finding the book closest to you, opening it to the 123rd page, and typing out the 5th sentence in it. I have quite a few books on my desk, so I chose the book that probably has the most interesting sentence. I chose A Patriot's Handbook, as other choices were the MLA Handbook and DSM-IV; the latter may not have been as interesting.

Anyway, my dad gave me this book. It is subtitled as "Songs, Poems, Stories, and Speeches Celebrating the Land We Love." I keep it on my shelf, and sadly I have only looked through it a few times. Anyway, here is the fifth sentence on the one-hundred twenty-third page:

"These selections show the Constitution in action and reflect the deep commitment Americans feel to the rule of law."

It is the last sentence to the opening paragraph of a chapter heading. As indicated, the chapter is on the Constitution. With the election basically in full-swing now, I found this quote appropriate and a good opener to what I want to write on right now.

I love the United States. This is the greatest nation that the world has ever seen. It sickens me when people who are blessed to be born here talk down the country. I often tire from watching election coverage because candidates constantly talk about what is wrong with America. Granted, many things need improvement; however, much good is going on as well. An extreme amount, actually. We live in a country where we are free to do basically anything we want (okay, I know gay marriage is not legal yet, get over it).

We allow free speech, free press, freedom to do what we will, say what we will, and think as we will. The Constitution is the very document that protects those people's freedoms who would criticize the government it orchestrates. In China, people are fed propaganda constantly insomuch that their schema of the world is skewed; in Israel one cannot feel completely safe and secure behind just one locked door in their home; in Sudan armies march to murder you just because you are not Arab. It's no wonder we have a problem with immigration.

I was watching a documentary on the conflict in Darfur, The Devil Came on Horseback (which I completely recommend), and in it a black Muslim said he and his family always pray for the Americans. They do not pray for the Arab countries, they pray for America. I wondered why until he explained. It is the Americans who send them relief, who care enough for their well-being help with their survival. The Arab countries, who are predominantly Muslim as well, have done nothing for them. I wish we were doing more for those in Darfur, but situations are more complex that just what I would like to do. We are a nation of compassion, comprised of a people who wish to extend their luxuries with others. Granted, we do not understand other cultures well enough to do this effectively everywhere, but we are getting there.

A friend of mine told me last week that he has lost almost all his faith in the federal government. I think that sort of thinking is an extension of not appreciating everything that this government provides for us as citizens. It's amazing. One just needs to see a picture of a family in a starving country full on conflict to put his life in perspective. And if that does not do it, some personal evaluation is certainly needed.

The situations in Darfur, Kosovo, and Israel should make us appreciate our security. The starvation in North Korea due to Kim Jong-Il should make us appreciate the food that is readily available for us, allowable by our government. The corrupted and manipulative government of China should make us appreciative of the transparency of Washington. Saudi Arabia makes me appreciate the fact that I can explore religion and spirituality at my will and not be forced to prescribe to something I may not want to. If you have two pairs of shoes, you are in the top 10% of the wealthiest people in the world. 60% of the world makes less than $911 a year; that is probably less than the cost of the computer you're using to read this right now.

As my sister puts it, "Do you have running water? I don't want to hear you ever complain again."