I am an individual, a human being with an identity. I am not a statistic. I am not a number. I am not another one.

I am a mind, a body, and a soul. I think, I feel, and I create. I change, I bring change, and I will make a difference.

Friday, April 11, 2008

"The Kingdom of God Is Inside You"

Today someone quoted Ralph Waldo Emerson to me; the quote that is the title of this blog. "The Kingdom of God is inside you."

When I heard this sentence I fell in love with it. It is exactly what I have been thinking ever since I rediscovered spirituality this semester. I don't feel as though I need a mediator to have a relationship with a Higher Power. While I am still exploring different ideas about Him among the many religions of the world, I am always coming to the conclusion that nothing exceedingly organized is necessary for happiness or spirituality.

It is quite apparent that all religions contain truth, yet culture as well. For some reason, homophobia sprang up in the Arabian Penninsula as well as post-Roman Europe. Why this happened, I am unaware. Yet, the idea of homosexuality being sinful and unacceptable made its way into their religions' doctrines. The line between culture and religion is rather vague, although if one tried hard enough then they could distinguish between the two. I do think that if homosexuality were truly sinful, then the eastern religions would teach against it, too. It has not always been unacceptable to the homosexual in the religious world, especially if one looks back to antiquity.

It makes me angry to hear a Molly Mormon or Peter Priesthood draw a parallel between homosexuality and having tendencies towards drugs or alcoholism. They are absolutely different in every sense. Homosexuality was programmed into my mind insomuch that I can be attracted to another human being by just looking at him. If I had a tendency toward drugs, saw a pill and did not know what it did, I would not necessarily be compelled to want it.

Because sexuality is a major component to a person, built into their schema basically, I do not think it can be considered wrong. Unless the Creator is a cruel being that intends to bring misery and suicide to a select group of people, then it is a tool to bring happiness and growth to individuals. As I said in a previous post, He blessed me with homosexuality. I have grown so much and opened my mind to such a greater capacity than I would have otherwise, and that is not sinful.

I was not created in sin; I was created by God. He built His Kingdom within me, including my homosexuality. It is just a pillar in my being, and there is no sense in tearing part of me down. I don't think He wants that, or he would not have put it there. The Kingdom of God is inside me, and it is inside you, too. What blessings has he given you?

1 comment:

Abelard Enigma said...

The Gay Christian Network produced a musical parody of the ex-Gay movement which they performed at their 2007 annual conference titled Straight to Heaven". The final song titled "Decrying Bigotry", sung to the tune of "Defying Gravity" from "Wicked", includes these words:

Something has changed within me
Jesus has touched my heart
I wanna change the world
and being truthful is the start
Too long I've been afraid of
things that other people say
It's time to stand up proud
and tell the world ...
I'm gay!

It's time to try decrying bigotry
raise my voice high,
decrying bigotry
and make a joyful sound

. . .

I'm through accepting limits
on who I have to be
whether they're from ex-gays
or from the queer community!
If Jesus is my savior
and the spirit is my guide
I have to serve the Lord
with what I've got inside!

And that's why I'm decrying bigotry
Raise my voice high
I'm decrying bigotry
and they can't shut me down!

. . .

So if they call me sinful
or if they call me odd,
I'm going to be an honest
"good and faithful servant"
to my God!
And if I'm fighting solo,
at least I'm living free
I'll work to make the church
what God called us to be!

And that's why I'm decrying bigotry
won't live a lie,
I'm decrying bigotry
and I don't care if I'm reviled ...
nothing below,
or from above
is going to keep me from His love
'cause God has claimed me as
His child!